Answered By: Paul Streby
Last Updated: Feb 16, 2016     Views: 215

If it's an article we don't have, you can use InterLibrary Loan to have a copy sent to you via email. If you need a book not available at UM-Flint, there are four possible ways to get it:
  • If it's a circulating book owned by UM-Ann Arbor, you can obtain it via Get This.
  • If it's not owned by UM-Ann Arbor, you can request it via interlibrary loan.
  • Check to see if other libraries own it.
    • Local public libraries may have the book.
    • UM-Flint, Kettering University, Mott Community College, and Baker College of Flint have limited mutual borrowing privileges for their students and faculty through the Academic Resource Sharing (ARS) program. With an ARS card, students and faculty can borrow two books at a time, up to ten per semester, from these institutions. UM-Flint students may obtain an ARS card at the Thompson Library loan desk. The card is valid until the end of the semester.
    • Graduate students at all three UM campuses, Michigan State University, and Wayne State University may obtain borrowing privileges at all of these institutions, which are part of the Michigan Research Library Triangle (MRLT). They must be currently enrolled and in good standing with their own libraries. To receive a library card from one of the other institutions, a graduate student must fill out the MRLT form available at his or her home library. UM-Flint graduate students may obtain the MRLT forms at the Thompson Library's Loan Desk.

The ARS and MRLT cards are intended as supplements to, and not substitutes for, the resources of the Thompson Library. Students at all participating institutions are expected to exhaust the resources of their home library before receiving an ARS or MRLT card. You might also find it easier to use interlibrary loan to obtain materials not available at the Thompson Library.

NOTE: You will have to know your UMICH (formerly Kerberos) password in order to use interlibrary loan or Get This. If you don't know your UMICH password (and many people don't!), instructions for getting it are available online.